In this section you can find out more about:
- Employee policies, equal opportunities, Greater Manchester Police (GMP) recruitment and workforce mix
- Community engagement
- Equality objectives (our’s and GMP’s)
- Stop and search and hate crime monitoring
- Human rights when applied to our work, e.g. the role of custody visitors
- Publication of demographic and salary information for volunteers and certain senior officers
The legal background
The Equalities Act 2010 is there to ensure that everyone in our country is treated equality and no-one should experience discrimination because of who they are. These Equalities Act identifies nine characteristics which should be taken into account when organisations are developing and implementing its policies:
- gender reassignment
- marriage and civil partnership
- pregnancy and maternity
- religion or belief
- sexual orientation
In our day to day duties we are committed paying due regard to and furthering the Act’s three main aims of:
- eliminating discrimination, harassment and victimisation, and other conduct prohibited by the act
- advancing equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and those who don’t
- fostering good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and those who don’t
In these pages you can find out more about how we achieve this.
We’re committed to making sure that everyone in Greater Manchester has the chance to have their say on the police and crime issues that matter to them. To do this effectively and shape a police service that is fit for all, it’s important that we fully understand the needs of Greater Manchester’s wonderfully diverse communities.
We’re also proud to promote equality in the workplace.
Decisions made with equalities, diversity and human rights issues in mind will lead to a better, more accessible police service for the public.
As we serve the whole of the Greater Manchester region and its diverse population, we need to understand the needs of all residents, and to make sure that our policies, procedures and services take those needs into account. This is why, whenever we consult, we collect detailed demographics information.
- Greater Manchester demographics and protected characteristics (Excel, 68kb)
- Equality duty assessment (word, 55kb) [This document is currently under review]
If you have any questions, suggestions for improvements, or you’re interested in some information not already included here, please contact:
Policy Development Manager
0161 793 3137