Independent panel - protests and demonstrations
The independent panel on the policing of protests and demonstrations provides strategic advice on how police manage major demonstrations, as well as being actively involved in police operations during live events.
Tony set up the panel with the full support of Greater Manchester Police Chief Constable Sir Peter Fahy. GMP provides information to the panel on its procedures on policing protests, and panel members will be invited to be present during live operations to observe and provide advice.
The behaviour, actions and decisions of police officers and staff must always be in support of the public interest. Public trust and confidence in policing as an institution is crucial to build safer communities and, to earn this, police need to be open to scrutiny and be transparent.
Members have been drawn from across Greater Manchester’s diverse communities, and bring with them a vast range of experience including protest and trade union activism, politics, policing, community relations, media and youth engagement.
The panel is chaired by Martin Miller, Chief Executive of the Diocese of Manchester. Martin also had a leading role in the Hope Not Hate campaign, which takes a stand against extremist organisations like the British National Party and English Defence League.
The other panellists are:
- Atiha Chaudry, an equalities and diversity specialist and magistrate
- Matthew Colledge, former leader of Trafford Council and a Vice Chair of the Greater Manchester Combined Authority
- Diane Curry OBE, Partners of Prisoners Chief Executive and independent member of the Greater Manchester Police and Crime Panel
- Davine Forde, a youth and community organisation manager who is currently Project Coordinator at Manchester charity Reclaim
- Alan Manning, former TUC Regional Secretary
- Mohammed Sultan, a retired police inspector with more than 30 years’ policing experience
- Janine Watson, who has 30 years’ experience in communications and community engagement in Greater Manchester local authorities and media organisations
The panel meets quarterly, or when required, and reports regularly to Tony. Minutes of meetings are published here:
- Panel minutes – 4 March 2014
- Panel minutes – 10 March 2014
- Panel minutes – 16 June 2014
- Panel minutes – 18 September
Barton Moss report
- Independent report on policing at Barton Moss published
- Commissioner sets up independent panel to scrutinise protests and demonstrations
- Independent panel on protests and demonstrations meets
Have your say
Got something to say about protests or the panel? Use this form to have your say. Your comments will be passed on to the panel.