[Wow-Modal-Windows id=1]

Greater Manchester no longer has a Police and Crime Commissioner. The Mayor of Greater Manchester has now taken responsibility for policing and crime.

Commissioner lights a candle to remember domestic abuse victims

Candle-lit vigil for domestic abuse victims

Police and Crime Commissioner Tony Lloyd is joining Greater Manchester’s communities to remember the dozens of women who are killed as a result of domestic violence each year.

Tony Lloyd and Deputy Police and Crime Commissioner Jim Battle will attend the annual candlelit vigil in Manchester city centre on Tuesday 10 December.

The vigil, which takes place outside the Bridgewater Hall on Lower Mosley Street, remembers those who have been killed by their partners or who are still suffering domestic abuse.

 It marks the end of the International United Nations’ Ending Violence Against Women Campaign – 16 days of action aimed at highlighting the issue and letting victims know how they can get help to escape their abusers which runs from 25 November until Human Rights Day on 10 December.

One in four women will become a victim of domestic abuse in their lifetime and two women die each week at the hands of a partner or ex-partner. In Greater Manchester, 13% of victims are men, although there are many cases that go unreported.

Tony said: “Every victim of domestic violence should shock us all into standing together to rid our communities of this crime that has untold, long-lasting effects on victims and their children – in some cases tragic consequences.

“Today I am showing my support for those who have suffered at the hands of someone who is supposed to love and care for them, and say to victims you are not alone. Please don’t suffer in silence, help is available.”

Visit endthefear.co.uk for more information or call Greater Manchester’s domestic violence helpline on 0161 636 7525.

If there is an immediate risk of harm to someone, or it is an emergency, dial 999.

The Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme, or Clare’s Law, can be used by anyone concerned over a partner’s abusive behaviour or those concerned about a friend or family member in a relationship and at risk of violence by their partner. For further information or to make a request for information under it, contact Greater Manchester Police on 101 or visit a police station.

Leave a reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.