[Wow-Modal-Windows id=1]

Greater Manchester no longer has a Police and Crime Commissioner. The Mayor of Greater Manchester has now taken responsibility for policing and crime.

Fighting prejudice, remembering loved ones

#PutaRibbonOnIt - World Aids Day

This World Aids Day (1 December), Greater Manchester Police and Crime Commissioner Tony Lloyd is sending out a message of solidarity to people living with HIV.

Tony will be at the traditional Candlelit Vigil in Sackville Gardens on 1 December, where he will lay a red ribbon wreath in memory of those lost to HIV/Aids.

And he has called for an end to discrimination against those living with the virus.

Tony said:

“We are fortunate that so many advances have been made in HIV treatment, but people living with the virus still face discrimination, prejudice and hatred. This is unacceptable, and I would urge anyone living with HIV who has been a victim of a hate crime to come forward and report it with the confidence that action will be taken.   

“World Aids Day gives us the opportunity to fight prejudice and demonstrate our support to those living with HIV. It is also a moment of reflection as we come together to remember and celebrate loved ones lost.”

Tony Lloyd is part of the World Aids Day Partnership which promotes HIV testing and prevention. Other partners include BHA, Brook Manchester, George House Trust, the Lesbian and Gay Foundation, Manchester City Council and the Manchester Mental Health and Social Care Trust.

Find out more about the partnership at:

The procession on 1 December will start and end at Sackville Gardens, followed by a candlelit vigil and the laying of wreaths. To take part in the procession, meet at Sackville Gardens at 5.30pm.

Information and support for those living with or affected by HIV is available at www.ght.org.uk.

Follow World Aids Day activity on Twitter using #PutARibbonOnIt

To report a hate crime contact the police on 101 or dial 999 where there’s a threat to life or a crime in progress. You can also contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or you can report it online at www.report-it.org.uk/home.

You can also report hate crime at a third party reporting centre. These are independent, non-police centres that allow you to report incidents in complete confidence. If you’d rather not talk to anyone you can use a ‘self-reporting’ pack. Find a third party reporting centre in your area: www.gmpcc.org.uk/hatecrime

Leave a reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.