[Wow-Modal-Windows id=1]

Greater Manchester no longer has a Police and Crime Commissioner. The Mayor of Greater Manchester has now taken responsibility for policing and crime.

Standing together against trans violence

The trans* flag, a symbol of transgender pride, diversity and transgender rights


Greater Manchester Police and Crime Commissioner Tony Lloyd has sent a message of support to the trans community of Greater Manchester, and urged victims of trans hate crime to come forward and report it.

Speaking on International Transgender Day of Remembrance on 20 November, he said:

“Transgender Day of Remembrance is an opportunity for us to stand together and remember trans people who have tragically lost their lives through violence and hatred.

“Shoulder to shoulder we can send out a powerful message of support to the friends and families that were left behind, and reach out to those members of the trans community who are still battling daily with ignorant attitudes and behaviour or – worse still – acts of aggression and violence.

“Nobody should have to face the prospect of hatred, murder or violence simply for being who they are. This is a brutal wrong that has no place in our society.

“Trans hate crime is still massively underreported and I urge the trans community to please report any such incidents to the police or via a third-party hate crime reporting centre. Through zero tolerance of hatred and ignorance, we can start to change attitudes and behaviours for the better.

“Here in Greater Manchester we live in communities that – for the most part – are tolerant and rightly place great value on the rich make-up and diversity of our region. Today gives us an opportunity to show solidarity with trans people and demonstrates that we shall continue pushing for tolerance, peace and equality for all.”

To report a hate crime contact the police on 101 or dial 999 where there’s a threat to life or a crime in progress. You can also contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or you can report it online at www.report-it.org.uk/home

You can also report hate crime at a third party reporting centre. These are independent, non-police centres that allow you to report incidents in complete confidence. If you’d rather not talk to anyone you can use a ‘self-reporting’ pack. Find a third party reporting centre in your area at www.gmpcc.org.uk/hatecrime

A vigil will be held at the National Trans* Memorial in Sackville Gardens in the Gay Village on Sunday at 4.30pm.  For more information, visit the Transgender Remembrance Memorial project page on Facebook.

Leave a reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.