[Wow-Modal-Windows id=1]

Greater Manchester no longer has a Police and Crime Commissioner. The Mayor of Greater Manchester has now taken responsibility for policing and crime.

We need to stand together against hate crime – Commissioner

Hate Doesn't Belong Here

We need to stand together to rid society of hate crime, says Greater Manchester’s Police and Crime Commissioner.

Tony Lloyd is speaking out in support of National Hate Crime Awareness Week, encouraging victims of hate crime to come forward, report it and get the help and support they need.

 “Hate crime has no place in our society – it is vicious and destroys lives. That’s why we need to stand together against those abhorrent individuals who seek to divide our communities,” says Tony.

“If you have been a victim of hate crime please come forward. Whether you report it directly to police or, if you don’t feel comfortable speaking directly to them, at a third party reporting centre, I want victims to be reassured that the police will take it seriously and will work to bring those responsible to justice.

“Greater Manchester Police also works closely with a number of organisations to raise awareness of hate crime and the support available, so please don’t suffer in silence. By working together we can challenge hate crime and stop it.”

Hate crime is a crime committed against someone because of their disability, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or transgender identity. In April, Greater Manchester Police also became the first police force in the UK to record alternative subculture hate crime which includes groups such as Goths, Emos, Punks and Metallers. Find out more atwww.gmpcc.org.uk/hatecrime.

To report a hate crime contact the police on 101 or dial 999 where there’s a threat to life or a crime in progress. You can also contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or you can report it online at www.report-it.org.uk/home

You can also report hate crime at a third party reporting centre. These are independent, non-police centres that allow you to report incidents in complete confidence. If you’d rather not talk to anyone you can use a ‘self-reporting’ pack. Find a third party reporting centre in your area at www.gmpcc.org.uk/hatecrime

Leave a reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.